Wow! Please! Do it again!: SGS2 + CM9: Use only 2G networks

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

SGS2 + CM9: Use only 2G networks

The mobile signal strength is pretty weak in my area. In my previous post (in the History Details screen), Mobile network signal is anything but GREEN. I usually get 0-2 bars in the signal strength indicator on top of the screen.

Then I recalled back to the days of using the Nokia E72, when I had the option of disabling "Dual Band" and choosing "GSM Only" (if i remembered correctly, this was a long time ago).

CM9 has this option to "Use only 2G networks", which will actually use EDGE instead of 3G/HSPA (whatever that shit's called). I now get full 4 bars and a GREEN bill of health! Strong signal means better battery life.

Settings > Wireless & Networks > More... > Mobile Networks

There's a power widget (Toggle 2G/3G)
Settings > System > Notification drawer > Widget Buttons

Same screen > Scroll down > "Network modes" (self explanatory)

Settings > System > Notification drawer > Widget button order

Toggle 2G/3G/2G+3G via widget button!

Go Green...